Sunday, February 27, 2011

Strawberry Cream Cheese Breakfast Buns

I pushed my foot against the gas pedal ever so lightly as the car rolled slowly over the gravel road. I brought my foot off the gas pedal when we were greeted by a group of cows lazily walking on the road, every now and then chewing on some near by weeds. We continued on to the top of the hill. My best friend since childhood and I wanted to go somewhere that we could discuss photography and she had the perfect place in mind. Since it's winter it had rained the last few days, but that day was sunny and warm. We parked the car on the side of the road and walked to the edge of the hill. We were met with a scene of rolling green hills, old farms in the distance, the cows we passed on the way up, and glittering sun looking down on us. We lingered around for awhile talking about photography and other daily activities. We weren't worried about what else was going on, we just focused on the view and simple things discussed. These are the moments I live for, truly enjoying the little things. I'm constantly thinking about how grateful for having the family and friends I have and where I have gotten to grow up. These breakfast buns are one of those little things I'm grateful for. Snuggling up with good book, a bun and some hot tea on a rainy day; something I think I have lacked in my busy life these days. The cream cheese makes these buns awesome, so moist and the little bit of strawberry flavor is great addition. I would suggest putting it into regular muffin pans because these were a bit to big to my liking, but great for sharing with a friend.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Breakfast Buns adapted from here
Bun1 3/4 a.p. flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound (one 8 oz package)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup of sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Topping1/2 cup strawberry preserves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour 9 bun pans or large muffin cups.
In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and sugar until smooth about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and beat well. Add the dry ingredients in two parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. Spoon the batter into the bun pans or muffin cups, filling them about 2/3 full. Drop 3 small dollops of strawberry preserves into the batter, forming a decorative batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the bun comes out clean. Serve once cooled.

1 comment: